St. Paul’s offers space options for your next event. Please complete the form and we will respond to your request within 3 business days.
PROPERTY USE POLICY
ST. PAUL’S EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH
St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church’s (SPLC) primary purpose is to carry on the mission and ministry of the congregation. It has a desire to serve as an outreach to the community and has a number of longstanding relationships with community organizations for ongoing use. The congregation is happy to have your organization share our facilities.
So that all church members and outside groups can enjoy our facility, we ask that you follow this guide and sign and return the Property Use Agreement and Release Form. A copy of the approved form will be returned to you. These forms are only to be used for occasional use such as a once only use or for a few hours one day each week or month.
Building use activities fall under the jurisdiction of the Property Team and Church Council. Requests for building use are managed through the Church Office. No commitment for building use is finalized until the Use Agreement has been approved and executed through the Church Office. Local organizations and individuals for one -time or short-term usage also may use church building. When possible we will attempt to make our facility available for such groups. Our first priority is to congregation programs and membership needs. Priority is then given to nonprofit groups that are supported by church and finally to other nonprofit organizations.
Approval for the use of the grounds and/or facilities of congregation does not constitute or imply endorsement of a group, their mission, or their positions. Groups approved to use congregation facilities are not to advertise the event in such a way as to imply endorsement by the congregation. No activities or advocacy may take place within the congregation, its buildings or grounds that conflict with the practices of this congregation and the ELCA.
Included in this guide are the following:
- Steps to Facility Use Scheduling
- Rules and Regulations
- Property Use Agreement Form including Release
STEPS TO FACILITY USE SCHEDULING
1. Obtain and complete a Property Use Agreement from the church office or at our website www.splcwaukegan.com.
2. Attach any additional information you feel might be useful in helping to determine if we can accommodate your group.
3. Return the Property Use Agreement to the church office with your deposit (see fee schedule) and you will be notified whether it is approved or not approved.
FEES FOR FACILITY USAGE
Fees for property usage vary and are subject to change. Fees are according to the PROPERTY USE SCHEDULE.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. CHURCH PROPERTY. Church property will not be loaned, borrowed or removed from church premises without prior permission from the church office. Church property such as chairs, tables, tablecloths, etc may be used when using the facility under the rules herein. Other property may be used, such as musical and video equipment for additional fees as described below.
2. BUILDING USE. All groups agree that they will ensure that all event participants leave the building after the event. They will be responsible for turning off all lights and closing all windows. The church area used by your group must be left clean and orderly with church furniture and property returned to its designated place.
3. ACCESS. For security purposes, keys will not be issued to anyone using the building and all access shall be from the west parking lot entry. All exits are available for emergency use only. A SPLC member shall unlock doors at a specified time. After such time entry doors shell be self locking.
4. KITCHEN RULES. The kitchen must be left clean and orderly after use. Garbage and trash must be bagged and disposed in the dumpster at the south east corner of the parking lot. Church supplies are not to be used except by church sponsored activities.
5. PIANO, ORGAN, HAND BELL & MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS. Permission to use the piano, organ, hand bells and/or other musical instruments must be granted by the Music Director. An additional fee may be required as determined by the Director of Music.
6. SANCTUARY SOUND SYSTEM. The Sanctuary sound system is available for use upon request at an additional fee. The system must be operated by SPLC trained members or by individuals pre-approved by the church office. No other equipment may be attached to the church sound system without prior approval.
7. SMOKING IS PROHIBITED ANYWHERE ON CHURCH PROPERTY.
8. ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION. Service and consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited without all required City of Waukegan permits and General Liability Certificate of Insurance, naming SPLC as additional insured. See separate section for specific requirements.
9. NO GAMES OF CHANCE. Gambling or bingo on the church premises is prohibited.
10. SUPERVISION OF CHILDREN AND YOUTH. The congregation seeks to provide a safe environment for children and youth. All users of the facility are expected to follow the guidelines of this policy including the following:
· No fewer than two adults should be present at all times during any
program or event involving children.
· Adult supervision is required at all times both inside and outside of
the church property including playground and parking lot.
· Children and/or siblings of the group members must stay with the
group or under the care of additional adult supervisors.
11. FOOD AND DRINK. Food and drink should be limited to designated areas. Anyone using the church property is responsible for cleaning up after each use, both inside and outside. If a private catering service is used for the event, the caterer must furnish all equipment (e.g. dishes, silver, table cloths, etc.) and remove immediately after the event. Storing of catering equipment is not permitted.
12. DECORATIONS. Decorations may be attached to the walls or doors with removable tape that will not permanently damage the surface. All such decorations must be removed immediately and completely following the event.
13. EMERGENCY SCHEDULING CONFLICTS. The congregation reserves the right to pre-empt any facility use for its own in cases of emergencies, such as funerals. Notice will be provided as early as possible.
14. STORAGE. Excess storage is limited for organizations other than church groups, as such; all organizations using the facility will be responsible for storing accessories offsite unless prior arrangements have been made through the church office.
15. BREAKAGE. All persons and/or groups using our facilities are expected to exercise reasonable care and judgment in such use in order to prevent defacement, damage or breakage. The person(s) signing the application for use shall be responsible for paying costs incurred by the church in cleaning, repairing, etc any part of the building and/or its furnishings and equipment which in the judgment of the congregation has been carelessly or irresponsibly subjected to more than normal wear and tear by the person(s) or group(s) involved.
16. SECURITY. The congregation works to maintain a safe and secure environment within the facility, however no systems are foolproof. We ask that all users pay close attention to personal property and valuables, not leaving them unattended. The congregation is not responsible for theft or damage to personal property.
17. FINAL DECISIONS. In case of doubt or uncertainty by any outside person or group about the application or interpretation of these regulations, or in the customary practices not specifically mentioned here, the Congregation Council or their delegated representative shall decide the matter and all individuals and groups shall abide by the Congregation Council’s directions or forfeit the use of any part of the facility immediately.
18. PAYMENTS. All payments of fees must be made three (3) days prior to the event.
19. DEPOSITS. A non-refundable $25.00 deposit is required for all property uses at the time of reservation. Some uses may require a refundable custodial deposit in accordance with the FEE SCHEDULE.