A QUICK OVERVIEW OF OUR PASTORS & BUILDINGS
On May 15, 1930, the Board of American Mission, United Lutheran Church of America, chartered St. Paul’s English Evangelical Lutheran Church with the Reverend Paul J. Gerberding as mission developer. A World War I, prefabricated building was erected on the corner of Lewis Avenue and Garden Place. St. Paul’s called The Reverend H. Paul Romeis as its first pastor.
During the 1940’s we expanded by adding a basement under the existing structure. Many hands dug and carried a few buckets in what is now remembered as the “Bucket Brigade.” A parsonage was purchased on North Elmwood Avenue.
In the 1950’s, with the arrival of Pastor Alden Salstrom, we built a new parsonage on Garden Place. We broke ground for a new church, which was dedicated in 1955, the 25th anniversary of St. Paul’s. Pastor Fred A. Millhouse was installed as assistant pastor. The Education Unit was added and dedicated in 1964, with the original church building demolished soon after. Pastor Alden Tormela was called as assistant pastor.
During the 1970’s Pastor Tormela resigned, and Pastor Thomas S. Church was installed as assistant pastor. The 1980’s introduced a new pipe organ as part of the 50th anniversary of St. Paul’s. Handbells were purchased as an addition to the strong music program. Pastor Salstrom retired and became pastor emeritus. Pastor Church became senior pastor, and Pastor Richard P. Mannel was called as associate pastor.
In October 1990 ground was broken for a new sanctuary, dedicated in 1992. During the 1990’s Pastors Janet Miller and Pastor Carol Wasemiller joined as associates. In 2002 Pastor Church resigned as senior pastor, and Pastor Mark Halaas joined St. Paul’s as interim pastor. In 2003 Pastor Caroline Satre and Pastor Brad Davick were called to serve as co-pastors of the congregation. St. Paul’s celebrated its 75th anniversary in May 2005; most of our former clergy joined in the festivities.
Currently, St. Paul’s is in the process of calling a new pastor. Interim Pastor Janet Volk will guide the congregation on this journey. A Transition Team will be formed and will look at the church’s history, assess it’s present state and discern a future path. Once the Transition Team compiles all the necessary info and completes all the necessary paperwork, a Call Committee will begin interviews of candidates to serve as our new permanent pastor. We are confident that God will give us the person who will be best pastor for St. Paul’s at this time!